Benefits FAQs


Providers must:

  • Be a licensed or licensed-exempt provider
  • Must have had a subsidized child within the past twelve months or between Jan. 1, 2022 – Dec. 31, 2022
  • Must be willing to offer care to subsidized children
  • Education sought must be professional development related to and in service of work as a Family Child Care provider; the content covered must be applicable to early childhood education or a business development. We will request context regarding applicability to the work of child care from applicants.
  • Education must be taken at accredited: CA public community colleges, CA State Universities, Universities of CA, private non-profit colleges

*We hope to add adult education schools in the future.

Yes! If you meet all of the eligibility requirements, we encourage you to apply.

Child care providers must have cared for a subsidized child and/or children in the past twelve months or between Jan. 1, 2022 – Dec. 31, 2022 to qualify for reimbursement. Furthermore, child care providers must be currently willing and able to offer care to subsidized children.

You do not need to be currently enrolled or accepted into a school or program to be eligible for tuition assistance sponsorship. If you meet the eligibility requirements and have the desire to start higher education, we encourage you to apply.

Yes you can. You are eligible to receive tuition assistance with awards totaling $5,000 per calendar year.

Yes, you can apply for reimbursement for courses taken in 2022 if you are no longer enrolled, but were able to complete the course(s) and/or graduated from your program.

Yes, this is a separate scholarship funded by the CCPU Training Fund and you are encouraged to apply.

Yes, the program must be taken at accredited CA public community colleges, CA State  Universities, Universities of CA, or private non-profit colleges. Accredited prerequisite education courses are also applicable.

Yes, the program must be professional development related to your work as a family child care provider. This can include business, education, psychology courses and in service of work as a Family Child Care provider.

No you do not need to be a union member in order to qualify for this benefit.


You can apply for the Tuition Assistance Fund by visiting our website. Select your language of choice in the right hand corner. Click “Benefits & Training” → Select “Benefits” → You’ll be able to apply by selecting “Apply Here”.


If necessary, you can complete the application verbally over the phone with a Tuition Assistance Coordinator in your language of choice. Please reach out to so we can schedule an appointment with you.

Yes, if you need assistance to enroll in a higher education course, we would be happy to assist you. Please reach out to so we can schedule an appointment with you.

The tuition assistance award can be used for tuition and can cover additional expenses for things like transcript requests, books, and other course requirements. Within the $5,000, an individual can request up to $300 to cover such expenses.

Tuition paid for in 2022 and beyond, as well as, course materials. 

To successfully apply for tuition assistance, you will want to have documentation that clearly    indicates:

  • Course information
  • Dates of when course/class was taken
  • Course payment or cost of the course from the institution
  • Evidence of course requirements such as books, transcripts, etc.

Registration Link, Student ID#, Bursar/Cashier’s office contact information

Yes, you can reapply if you meet all the eligibility requirements and provide the appropriate documentation.

The technical support portion of the fund will become available in Spring 2023. We will send out announcements via email and will post on our webpage and social media sites once it goes live.

No, you do not have to submit an essay. There are some write-in questions within the application that will help provide us with more information.

No, you do not have to fill out a FAFSA form for this tuition assistance program.

The Tuition Assistance program is for any member enrolled or planning to enroll in a CA accredited higher education program as it relates to the work as a Family Child Care Provider. This can include prerequisite education, continuing education, undergraduate, graduate, or PhD programs.

We are able to pay for courses taken towards a certification program, as long as it is from an accredited higher education institution (public, private, state, community colleges, and trade schools) and applies to your work as a family child care provider.

If your conference costs are a course-related expense, you can request up to $300 to cover these costs.

No, there are no part time or full time restrictions for eligibility.

Yes, you are eligible for tuition reimbursement up to $5,0000 in that scenario.

No, this program is for all CCPU bargaining unit members and will not cover dependents.


If your application for tuition assistance is approved, the following steps will take place:

  1. You will be notified by the CCPU Training Fund via email or mail.
  2. We will be in contact if we need further information that is required, such as a Student ID number, school information, etc.
  3. For sponsorship:
    • We will contact the educational institution to inform them of the award. We will then send a check in the appropriate amount to the educational institution.
  4. For reimbursement:
    • We will send you the necessary forms to begin the payment process so you will get your full reimbursement in a timely manner.
  • It can take between 30-60 business days to hear back on your award status. If you have not received any communication within this timeframe, please email us at

The tuition assistance fund cannot reimburse for tuition that was paid by financial aid, such as student loans, grants and scholarships. Only out-of-pocket tuition payments are eligible; such as payments made by debit card, credit card, checking account and electronic check, or payments made in-person at your campus with a money order, check or cash.

We understand that there may be discrepancies with our records.Please email with proof of you having cared for a subsidized child(ren) within the past 12 months. We will review the documents you provided and reopen your application to be processed if we see that you’ve provided care for subsidized children.

At this time, the Tuition Assistance Fund is for in-home providers (owners of child-care businesses) not for center-based providers (providing child care/teaching within a center). If you decide to open an in-home child care business in the future, we encourage you to re-apply in the future.

Verified by MonsterInsights